Yeast Risen Low Carb Buns and Rolls
• 100g (3/4 cup) Almond Flour
• 180g (1 cup + 2 tbsp) vital wheat gluten
• 75 g (.5 cup + 2 tbsp) whole wheat flour
• 2 tsp instant/rapid rise yeast
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• 3 tbsp EVOO
• 1 cup water- 120 degrees (or whatever temp your yeast says)
****Optional spices if wanted: I add combo of oregano, basil, and thyme equaling about 1.5 tsps + 1 tsp dried minced onion flakes. The best ones are from TheSpiceHouse.com
1. Combine all dry ingredients including yeast. Whisk together.
2. Add in EVOO and water. Stir together to form a ball and knead 4-5 mins
3. Form dough into a ball in the same bowl and place somewhere warm 10 mins. (I heat the oven for 2-3 mins, then turn it off and pop the bowl in there.)
4. Divide the dough into whatever size you'd like. (These are VERY protein rich and SUPER filling, and they bake up bigger than they look before they go into the oven. So, make them smaller than you think, much smaller than any buns you'd buy at the store.) I use a scale to make sure they're even (but I'm a neurotic pastry chef, a title that is redundant),
5. Shape into hot dog or hamburger buns and put them on a sheet pan and cover w/plastic wrap and again put somewhere warm. Allow to rise for 45-50 mins.
6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and bring a pot of water to a boil. Add in few tbsps of white vinegar and salt, a few tsps.
7. When water is at a boil, use a slotted spoon to gently drop in a few buns at a time, boiling each for 30 seconds, flipping over, and boiling 30 seconds more.
8. Using a slotted spoon remove each, letting the water drip into the pot, and move it to a silipat or parchment lined sheet pan.
9. When they are all finished boiling and placed onto the sheet pan, bake 10-15 mins depending on the size you chose to make.
10. Allow to cool completely before freezing.
***** I love to slice them in half and spread on a little butter or avocado oil, and sear them on a hot pan to get a nice crunchy inner crust before putting a burger on top.